Goals of the NC State University Common Reading Program:
- to provide a shared intellectual experience that will contribute to a sense of community by increasing student-to-student and student-to-instructor interactions,
- to develop an environment of intellectual engagement, both inside and outside the traditional classroom,
- to create a foundation for students to explore values and ethics
- to raise awareness and tolerance of intergenerational and cultural likenesses and differences
- to promote academic discourse, critical thinking, and an exchange of ideas
- to provide an introduction to the expectations of higher education.